|Smiling Is Not Enough…
First Impressions are powerful, and the way a first time visitor to your church is welcomed makes a big difference. If you were to ask someone in your church, “Is this a friendly church?”, most church members would answer, “Yes, we’re friendly.” But what answer would you receive from a visitor? Having the experience of visiting a congregation for the first time will open your eyes to the power of hospitality in helping a first time visitor feel welcome. Perhaps the most painful words any pastor hears are: “I’ve been to this church X number of times and no one said hello or noticed me.”
Will Mancini writes a blog on “The Top 10 Mistakes Your Volunteers Make When Welcoming Guests at Church.” He says that he sees these 10 mistakes when volunteers are helping him as a first time guest:
- Volunteers have not thought in advance about my next step as a guest so they don’t know how to guide the conversation with me.
- Volunteers are talking with friends and don’t notice me.
- Volunteers are doing task work and are not available or responsive the moment I show up.
- Volunteers generally hesitate when I initiate with a question.
- Volunteers don’t know where the most pertinent information is located.
- Volunteers tell me what to do with no information or tools or other people to help me.\
- Volunteers generally look preoccupied, distracted or unsure of themselves in their non-verbals even when being friendly.
- Volunteers are unaware of the basic “how to” questions for checking-in children of every age.
- Volunteers don’t introduce me to others at the church.
- Volunteers gave me written information that is not important, pertinent or strategic (sending me on a bee-line to the trash can).
“So reach out and welcome one another to God’s glory. Jesus did it; now you do it!” (Romans 15:7 MSG)
– Wayne Van Regenmorter
17: Google Hangout Meeting
18: Meeting/Faith Church/Dyer, IN
19: Ridder Conference Call; Meeting/Cornerstone Church/Bourbonnais, IN
21: Meeting/Downers Grove, IL
23: 160th Anniversary of Raritan Reformed Church/Raritan, IL
25: RSMA Executive Team Meeting/Camp Manitoqua/Frankfort, IL
26-28: Leadership Learning Community/Christ Community Church/Lemont, IL
30: Sunday Worship
1-3: COSE/T & T Meeting/IP Meeting/Grand Rapids, MI
6: Sunday Worship
7: Labor Day
8: Meeting/ Beecher, IL
9: RSMA Executive Team/Chicago Coordinating Committee/Downers Grove Community Church/Downers Grove, IL
10: RSMA Executive Team/Illiana-Florida Executive Team/Faith Church/Dyer, IN
13: Sunday Worship
Wayne’s contact information:
10088 Prairie Knoll Ct.
St. John, IN 46373
Mobile: (941) 302-1281