Planning Tool for 2014…
Often during the month of January as consistories make transitions, pastors will schedule some time with key leaders not only to look forward but also to look backward in order to evaluate what is and isn’t working to accomplish a kingdom vision. Will Mancini’s blog “2014 Ministry and Vision Planning Ideas: The Four Helpful Lists by Tom Paterson” has a helpful and simple tool for an evaluation process. Will introduces Tom Paterson, a strategy and planning guru. Tom is in his 80’s and the architect of a process called “StratOps“, an intense 3-day strategic execution process with planning tools. Mancini reports that one of Tom’s mantras is “Perspective before Planning”. Below is one of Tom’s exercises that can be used with a consistory called “4 Helpful Hints”. Here’s how it works:
* Create five columns on white board or two white-pad sticky sheets.
* At the top of the first four columns put 4 questions:
- What’s Right? (What do we need to amplify?)
- What’s Wrong? (What do we need to fix?)
- What’s Confused? (What do we need to clarify?)
- What’s Missing? (What do we need to add?)
* At the top of the 5th column write, “Core Issues”.
* Take from 45-90 minutes with the consistory to discuss any aspect of the church: leadership, programs, events, vision, hospitality, community mission engagement, etc.
* Invite people to people to populate the columns with any content with regard to the four questions.
* After the first four columns have been populated, begin to consider and record core issues in the 5th column.
* Keep in mind the four corresponding imperatives to each of the questions: amplify, fix, clarify and add.
* Be ready for some break through clarity.
This tool could be a very helpful process for a consistory retreat. If you would like to discover about 25 more tools for leadership teams in the church you can register for Auxano in 2014. Here you will discover Paterson’s StratOp process for churches.
– Wayne Van Regenmorter
January 13: Coaching, Office
14: KEZ Meeting/Calvary Reformed Church/Orland Park, IL; Synod Executive Team Meeting/Camp Manitoqua; Meeting/Beecher, IL
15: Meeting/Faith Church/Dyer, IN
18: Chicago Classis Meeting/Faith Community Reformed Church/Stickney, IL
19: Sunday Worship
21: Meeting/Lombard, IL
22: Staff Meeting/Camp Manitoqua
24: Conference Call, Meeting/Oak Park, IL
26: Sunday Worship
Wayne’s contact information:
10088 Prairie Knoll Ct.
St. John, IN 46373
Cell phone: 941-302-1281
Home phone: 219-365-1694